“I have already said it before, but Zidane is like a godfather to me. He is my coach now and I get along with him very well. “Of course, I want him to continue as Madrid coach. He is showing everyone that he was not only a great player, but is a great coach as well.” “I am very happy for him that we beat Wolfsburg. He deserves this success. The France striker backed his compatriot after Madrid reached the semi-finals of the Champions League. Karim Benzema says Zinedine Zidane should be retained as Real Madrid manager in the future. Sport EN “This is also Zidane’s success,” Benzema said, per AS. “I have a lot of respect for Zidane. He gives me a lot of confidence. CEST 15/04/2016 Upd. at 21:49
By Constantinos PsillidesTHE Cyprus Football Association (CFA) is considering dismantling the Cyprus Referee Association (CRA) following weeks of revelations of corruption at all levels of the sport.A source within the CFA told the Cyprus Mail on Friday that association chairman Kostakis Koutsokoumnis will be meeting with CRA representatives on Monday, to discuss the issue.“Dismantling the CRA has definitely been discussed at a CFA meeting and the chairman favours it,” said the source.The CRA has received bad press over the last three weeks, following allegations by international referee Marios Panayi of extensive match-fixing. The head and a former member of the CRA (Marios Argyrou and Michalis Spyrou) were arrested and questioned regarding the case, while phone conversations of CRA members ordering referees to fix matches in exchange for promotion were leaked to the media.The CFA itself also had its share of bad publicity, after Panayi accused deputy chairman Yiorgos Koumas of being the man behind the match-fixing scandal.The CFA boss is said to favour dismantling the CRA as a means to placate public opinion. Koutsokoumnis has refused repeated calls to resign following Panayi’s accusations.Koutsokoumnis did not return calls seeking comment.The investigation on match-fixing is ongoing.The CRA once again made headlines last week, this time for an additional reason, after a bomb exploded outside the home of the mother of football referee Thomas Mouskos.Nobody was injured but the incident prompted referees to abstain from presiding over last Wednesday’s Cup matches and this weekend’s Championship matches in protest.Meanwhile, the CFA issued a statement on Thursday decreeing that fines imposed on teams and team officials should be payable within a week and not a month, as it was originally set in the stature. Despite claiming that the decision was unanimous, daily Phileleftheros reported that not only did several members raise objections but that they were also under the impression that a decision was not yet reached.The CFA has yet to comment on these reports.
By Iacovos ConstantinouDust permitting, the Cyprus football championship resumes this weekend with two games standing out, as leaders AEK and APOEL clash in Larnaca, while Apollon take on AEL in the local Limassol derby.The Cyprus Football Association (CFA) has already announced that if, three to four hours before a game, dust levels in the town where the game will be played, exceed 200 microgrammes per cubic metre, then the match will be put back by 24 hours.AEK, who finished second last season, have shown in their opening games that they will be a force to be reckoned with again despite losing one of their star players of last year, Vander to APOEL, their opponents on Saturday.They have brought in prolific Brazilian striker Andre Alves, who along with other summer signings, like the experienced midfielder Laban and Polish star Adam Marciniak, can push AEK towards the title. Their shrewd coach Tomas Christiansen is sweating on the fitness of his first choice keeper Tonio and striker Nestoras Mitides who injured himself while on international duty with Cyprus last Sunday.Temur Ketsbaia, APOEL’s new coach, faces his first real test against a team that frequently pose problems for the champions.Carlao, Efrem and Mario Sergio are all back in contention for a starting berth after recovering from injuries as is star signing Cavenaghi who used the international break to improve his fitness.On Sunday, Apollon meet Limassol rivals AEL, in a game they dare not lose. Their coach Pedro Emmanuel is feeling the pressure after his team failed to impress in their opening two games, especially the second, where they dropped two points at Paralimni.He is expected to ring the changes with striker Thuram pushing for a start while Lopez is expected to replace Stylianou at right back. Five players, da Silva, Sachetti, Stojanovic, Gullon and Rosa are vying for three places in midfield.Even though AEL have drastically reduced their budget for the season, their coach Christophorou has still managed to create a well-organised unit that will pose problems to all clubs irrespective of their budgets.AEL are waiting for news on Airossa and Elefteriou, who both cover at right-back. Should neither be passed fit then youngster Karagounis is expected make his first start.Shellis is back to full fitness but Christophorou is expected to keep the central pairing of Andrande and Sambou.Anorthosis, only the third team with two wins so far, take on Ethnikos at the Antonis Papadopoulos and are expected to maintain their perfect start.Andre Paous is not expected to make any changes to the side that defeated Nea Salamina in their last outing.Ethnikos are a tough, battling side and as they showed in their win over Omonia, they cannot be brushed aside easily.In the remaining games, Paphos FC will be hoping to record their first point(s) against Aris while two more teams without a point, Ayia Napa and Salamina, clash with each other. Omonia should bounce back from their loss to Ethnikos when they take on Doxa at the GSP, while on Monday Ermis Aradippou are to home to Paralimni.
0Shares0000Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal are chasing a top-four finish in the Premier League © IKIMAGES/AFP/File / Ian KINGTONSTOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom, May 12 – There is nothing Arsene Wenger relishes more than confounding his doubters and the Arsenal manager will know on Saturday whether he has a strong chance of doing so once again.Wenger’s side travel to Stoke having boosted their chances of qualifying for the Champions League – a task that looked a lost cause just a few weeks ago – by winning 2-0 at Southampton on Wednesday. That left Arsenal in fifth place in the Premier League, three points behind Manchester City in the slot directly above.City will have played their home game with Leicester City by the time Arsenal kick off at Stoke, but a Gunners victory is sure to stoke up the pressure on Liverpool, who are currently in third.Jurgen Klopp’s side are four points better off than Arsenal, but crucially have played one fixture more than City and the Gunners, and are at West Ham on Sunday.But while Wenger cannot wait to say ‘told you so’ to his critics Gunners defender Shkodran Mustafi is still concerned his team may have left it a little too late.“I wish we found that before,” he said of Arsenal’s recent revival.“But now we have three games and we have to give everything to try and get everything out of all the games. Hopefully at the end we’ll reach our goals.”Arsenal will finish the campaign with home games against relegated Sunderland and then Everton, but first they must focus on ending their poor run at Stoke.Although they have not won there since 2010, losing on four of their eight visits, Wenger’s men will be hopeful of ending that sorry sequence so long as Alexis Sanchez is in the team.– Concentrate –The Chile star scored at Southampton to being his Premier League goal tally for the season to 20, and 14 of those have been in away games.“I think it will give us hope, because if we keep the pressure on the other teams, maybe they will have an unlucky game or drop points somewhere,” Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech said.“We need to make sure we are ready to take advantage of that. We concentrate on our games, we go game-by-game and we have to win all of them to give ourselves a chance. Then we will see what happens.”Arsenal will be facing a Stoke side with just one win from their last nine games, yet City manager Mark Hughes is confident his players will rise to the occasion.“It’s going to be a good atmosphere, it always is when Arsenal come to town,” Hughes said.“Saturday is our last home game as well and we will want to end with a positive result and performance, so we need everybody behind us and hopefully cheer us to a victory.“That support always helps, we know that, and it’s important for us to play well in order to deserve any plaudits we get – that is certainly our intention.“The last couple of performances have been good, we haven’t had maximum points from those games, but we’ve played well and we’re in good nick confidence wise so we can look forward to it“Confidence is at a good level, Arsenal are a good side who have got back on track and have a lot of motivation which will help us make sure we’re at the level we need to be to compete with them.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
The wounded man was taken to a local hospital in critical but stable condition, she said. An undisclosed amount of cash was taken from the men, said Lopez. Detectives were still trying to determine how the robbery turned violent, she said. Around the same time, another robbery occurred in San Gabriel, said San Gabriel police Lt. John Tuosto. That crime occurred at 1616 South Palm Avenue, Tuosto said. The suspects approached in a black Toyota 4Runner and one of them pointed a rifle at the victim while sitting the back seat, said Tuosto. The suspects escaped with about $60 and a cell phone, he added. Minutes later, an officer spotted a sport utility vehicle that matched the suspects’ vehicle on Marshall Street at Lafayette Street and began a short pursuit, said Tuosto. The suspects abandoned the SUV after crashing into a parked car and fled on foot, Tuosto said. Police set up a containment and brought in a canine unit but the suspects were not found, he added. Authorities have impounded the vehicle, officials said. The gunman in the San Gabriel robbery was described as a Latino man with a shaved head, wearing a blue and black striped shirt, said Tousto. A description of the second suspect, who drove the SUV, was not available. Alhambra’s suspects were described only as two Latino men in a dark-colored SUV, Ponce said. The Monterey Park suspects were described as two Latinos as well. While police officials would not confirm that all three robberies are connected, detectives suspect the crimes are possibly connected. Lopez added that tracking down the suspects is a high priority for her department. “We’re working very closely with detectives to bring these people to justice,” she said. Tuosto said agencies are making a concerted effort. “Each agency is investigating its own crime but working together,” he said. “Whenever something like this happens we share our info for the purpose of solving the crime.” Staff writer Bethania Palma contributed to this story. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2718 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Monterey Park police Lt. Jess Alvarado said the suspects drove off in the victim’s black Toyota 4Runner, along with the his wallet containing about $25 in cash. Next, an incident was reported in Alhambra, he said. Officers responded to a report of “shots fired” in the behind the Top Island Restaurant, 740 E. Valley Blvd., said Alhambra police Sgt. Gabriel Ponce. They discovered two victims had been robbed and one of them had been shot in the face, said Alhambra police Lt. Edith Lopez. Police did not identify the victims. Investigators said Monday that a crime spree that spanned three cities in a matter of minutes might be the work of two suspects. Police are investigating the possibility that the same suspects may be responsible for three robberies and a shooting in three area cities late Saturday, officials said. The crime spree began about 8:30 p.m., and possibly spanned Monterey Park, Alhambra and San Gabriel, police said. The first robbery was reported at 115 N. Florence Ave. in Monterey Park, authorities said. Two Latinos approached a male victim and pointed a gun at him, demanding his car keys and wallet.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsTo alleviate other possible conflicts of interest, Peake also told the Senate committee that he would divest stock holdings in more than 57 companies, many of them major pharmaceutical companies such as Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Bristol Myers, Medtronic, Wyeth and Pfizer, that either currently or might do business with the VA, said a Senate staffer who demanded anonymity because the information had not been made public. The panel is scheduled to consider Peake’s nomination on Wednesday. If confirmed by the Senate, Peake would lead the government’s second-largest agency with 235,000 employees in the waning months of the Bush administration. WASHINGTON – Ret. Army Lt. Gen. James Peake pledged to move quickly to fix gaps in veterans’ health care if confirmed as Veterans Affairs secretary, saying urgent action is needed to improve medical record-keeping and pare down the VA’s monthslong delay in disability payments. In a 28-page disclosure obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, the former U.S. Army surgeon general from 2000 to 2004 also denied having “firsthand” knowledge of shoddy outpatient care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. And he sought to allay concerns of possible conflicts of interest due to his position as chief medical officer of QTC Management, which has held millions of dollars of contracts with the VA. “If confirmed, I will terminate any connection with QTC, will have no ongoing or residual financial interest in QTC and will recuse myself in any matters related to QTC,” Peake wrote to the Senate committee. Peake, 63, took a leave of absence from QTC without pay after he was nominated by President George W. Bush last month to head the embattled VA. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Dougie Imrie tried his luck from a position wide on the right in 23 minutes, but ex-Accies goalkeeper Cerny did well to punch clear at his near post.Hamilton were playing well and should have doubled their lead in 28 minutes when Docherty went on a run through the middle and slipped in Eamonn Brophy on the overlap from the right. He drilled a low shot past Cerny and into the bottom left corner, but Docherty had delayed the pass too long and his team-mate was offside.Thistle’s only real chance of the half came on 38 minutes when Sean Welsh’s cross from the right found Steven Lawless and his net-bound shot was blocked by Ziggy Gordon in the six-yard box, with Gary Fraser flagged offside when he latched onto the rebound.Thistle levelled five minutes into the second half when Steven Lawless’ cross from the left was headed in at the back post by Pogba – only his second goal for the Maryhill club. A stirring second-half fightback earned Partick a valuable 2-1 win over Hamilton at New Douglas Park.Goals from Mathias Pogba and Ryan Edwards made sure the points were heading back to Glasgow, but the Accies will see it as a chance wasted after having led 1-0 at the interval through Greg Docherty.The win moved Thistle four points clear of their hosts in the Ladbrokes Premiership table.Hamilton took the lead on 10 minutes when a terrific cross-field pass picked out Gramoz Kurtaj on the left and his cut-back found its way to Docherty, who kept his composure at the back post to slam the ball high past Tomas Cerny for his second goal of the season. Accies tried to get themselves back into the game and had a terrific chance in 62 minutes when Brophy sent Docherty down the right and he picked out Darren Lyon who sent an effort narrowly over from a tight angle.Thistle went close in 75 minutes when Ryan Edwards darted down the left and his cross was touched on by Callum Booth, which eventually fell to Pogba, but he blazed over from a good position.Substitute Kris Doolan was on the park for three minutes before his cross from the right was headed in at the near post by Edwards for his first goal of the campaign.
Mrs. R. June Begley age 84 of Campbellsburg passed away Wednesday, December 21 at her home.Mrs. Begley was born May 8, 1932 in Shoal, Kentucky the daughter of Scott and Maggie Bailey Hacker. She was retired owner of Millport Grocery, Medora Grocery and Begley Carpet in Paoli. She attended Monroe Church of Christ.She was preceded in death by her husband: Denver Begley on December 20, 2008. She is survived by a son: Gregory D. Begley (Edith) of Paoli, a daughter: Angela Byrum (Michael) of Campbellsburg, a brother: Jack Hacker of Wooton, Kentucky, six sisters: Ann Ritter of Ohio, Ruth Hacker of Salem, Bea Campbell of Buckhorn, Kentucky, Nannie Minter of Ligonier, Indiana, Judy Parks of Jonesboro, Indiana and Linda Compton of Salem, 6 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by three brothers: Paul Hacker, Pearl Hacker and Scott Hacker Jr. and her parents.Funeral services were held Monday, December 26 and burial was in Pollock Cemetery.
While much of the US economy remains sluggish, one bright spot is in the growth of data centers in the IT sector. Gartner predicts strong and steady growth for data centers over the next four years. Gartner is forcasting that nearly $100 billion will be spent in the global build out and maintenance of data centers, a 12.7 percent increase 2010 spending, finally surpassing the levels of spending that were seen in 2008. Spending should continue to increase to $106 billion in 2012 and reach $126 billion in 2015. That works out to 7 percent growth in 2013, 6 percent growth in 2014 and 5 percent growth in 2015.The bulk of the spending is being made on the largest of the data centers — those having more than 500 server racks. Currently, the top two percent data centers in size occupy more than half of the total data center floor space and account for 63 percent of the hardware spending. By 2015 the top two percent will account for 60 percent of data center floor space and 71 percent of hardware spending.Jon Hardcastle, research director at Gartner, said that “traditional in-house enterprise data centers are under attack from three sides. Firstly, virtualization technologies are helping companies to utilize their infrastructure more effectively, inhibiting overall system growth. Secondly, data centers are getting more efficient, leading to higher system deployment densities and inhibiting demand for floor space. Thirdly, the move to consolidated third-party data centers is reducing the overall number of midsize data centers. Meanwhile, the largest data center class is, of course, benefitting from the rise of cloud computing.”